Cataract and Glaucoma Surgeon
I undertook my hospital residency in North Queensland where I developed interests in ophthalmology and Indigenous Health. To further these interests I completed a PhD with Professor Hugh Taylor AC at the University of Melbourne.
In 2008 I commenced my ophthalmology training at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital.
In 2011 I was appointed as the inaugural teaching fellow at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital before moving to the UK where I completed a glaucoma surgical fellowship at the prestigious Bristol Eye Hospital.
I have published more than a dozen peer-reviewed articles including several first author papers in The Lancet. I have also authored three book Chapters and made dozens of presentations at international and national conferences.
My wife, Kelly, and I have twin boys, Alex and Matthew, born in July 2012. Outside of work I am an avid runner having completed 7 marathons with a best of 2 hours 59 minutes in Amsterdam in October 2012. I am also a keen golfer, bush-walker, and traveler.
I offer the following clinical procedures:
- Routine and Complicated cataract surgery
- Routine and Complicated glaucoma surgery
- IOL replacement surgery
- Routine Corneal surgery including pterygium surgery
- Laser treatment for glaucoma, secondary cataract and diabetes
- Ocular injections for macular degeneration and diabetes
- Management of other retinal disorders
- B.Sci(hons). La Trobe University, 1993-96.
- MBBS. University of Queensland, 1997-2000.
- Post Grad Dip OphthalmicBS. University of Otago, 2003.
- PhD. Univeristy of Melbourne 2004-2006
- 2001, Intern: Rockhampton Base Hospital.
- 2002, HMO: Cairns Base Hospital.
- 2003, Surgical registrar: Cairns Base Hospital.
- 2004 to 2006:
- PhD, University of Melbourne, Department of Ophthalmology.
- 2007 to February 2011:
- Ophthalmology Registrar, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital.
- 2011 (Feb- September)
- Teaching Fellow, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital.
- October 2011 – November 2012
- Glaucoma Fellow, Bristol Eye Hospital
- November 2012-
- Fellow Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Ophthalmology
- October 2013-
- Staff specialist in ophthalmology at The Townsville Hospital
- Australian Postgraduate Award [APA(i)] scholarship 2004-7
- Visions CRC research Scholarship 2004-7
- Research Training Scheme (RTS) position 2004-7
- R. B. McComas Scholarship 2006-7
- Christian Blind Mission International Australia, $73,000.
- RVEEH research grant, $7,000.
- Researcher of the year award, Population Health Division, CERA 2005.
- Student Travel Award, CERA, 2006